Monday, December 12, 2005

the govt. office and my bad back.

Enyewe,
Kenyans are amazing people. I got to the office at 9 am,(having skived ward rounds) to find another 'umati' of warm bodies at the AG's office, all ready for the fight to the front. Kwani they swatched here? So i got behind a queue, the right one this time, and watched as people pushed,shoved and snuck to front of the line.
"Wewe! Unafikiria sisi sio watu! Toka hapo. Jinga wewe!", some dude was being verbally bashed by my irate queue members.I almost got in a word, lakini this was not my kind of drama. People had all sorts of issues and baggage that they carry around and cutting a line at a public place with Kenyans watchin you is not a good idea. My back by the way was killing me by now. I can't tolerate standing 4 long periods. It was almost 10am and i was still on my feet, the line was barely moving. When i finally got to the front(phew..) i was handed a form. "Jaza hio, alafu uendee counter 3 na fifty bob." sh*t!
This was not what i was hoping to hear. Counter 3 had another line.. and i had almost run out of patience with these people
Efficiency,isn't always a strong point of govt offices, but this was too much. I'd lined up for an hour only to be handed a form, to join another queue? If any one reading this becomes prezzi, or even a minister.. pliz, weka tarakalishi kwenye afisi za uma. yaani.. Computerize!! That way,fewer Kenyans will spend less time on shorter queues and work even harder for the nation.
To cut another long story short, one hour later, i left with a receipt & slip saying that i would get my birth certificate in 2 weeks time-taken with a pinch of salt, of course.

Keep it blogged,
more tomorrow,
The WebDoc.

No comments: