Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Risky business..

It’s a pity that yo’ never told about those dark aspects of anything you are getting into. Until you actually do and find out for yo’ self.

Actor 1: Oh, kumbe you didn’t know that? E! Si uko vibaya?

You: Wat do u mean, kumbe I didn’t know? You could at least have said something, anything!

Actor 2: Pole a guy..

You: Pole ? I’m messed!

Actor 1: Well, I thought it was general knowledge, you know, common sense?

You: Common sense? Lord in heaven! What sort of people are you?

Actor 2: By the way, it was even on radio. Kwani you don’t shika Kiss @ yo’ place?

You: Kiss? I think I need to leave before I throw bottle at someone!


------------------------------------
Well, it wasn’t this dramatic on the said day. The assistant minister for health made a call by the hospital, and by the paediatric ward, where yours truly was busy saving yet another diseased soul.

The a/minister: Yes daktari, how r u today.

Me: Not bad sir. Not bad. Just fixing a line on this young one.

The a/minister: Hmm.. Fixing a line.. What afflicts the young one?

Me: The poor soul is dehydrated. Severely so. And we need rehydrate him urgently.

(ok, so the English wasn’t as pampered as this, lakini wat’s a story without good story-telling?)

The a/minister: You know, in my times, we used to wear shirts and ties.

Me: (Looking perplexed and disturbed) Oh!

(I was in t-shirt, jeans and sneakers!)

The a/minister: Yes! Sister, (turning to the nurse in the room) your doctors don’t dress up for work!

(..he says as he walked out of the room, cheeky smiles on the faces of many in his entourage)

It was a Saturday morning this, and trust me, was not going to wear a tie, not in that heat, and not when I least felt like working. What made this really sad, is that I was not told that the dude was showing up. Apparently, they were launching the door-to-door polio campaign and he first stop was Thika. Everyone else in the ward was crisp and shiny, dressed up like it was a Monday. It didn’t hit me until the guy left..

Actor 1: You didn’t know mheshimiwa was coming?

Me: What? Who was spreading the word? I missed that surmon!

Actor 2: Hehe.. How can you where a t-shirt when a minister is visiting?

Me: Jus’ shut up!

Actor 1: Kwani you don’t live in around? Si everyone knew?


---------------------------------
The rest of the conversation was mindless and sarcastic. I’ll spare yo’all the empty details. I faced no repercussions, I’m glad to say. Lakini I still can’t do ties on weekends. Iz bila!

Now speaking of risky business, this medicine profession I tell you! Our risk allowance is about 5K.. I think, maybe 3K, but I should confirm that. Anyway, one of my colleagues got TB. Drained 2 litres of effusion (fluid) from his chest! Poor fellow. But he’ll survive.

I understand he was given time to recuperate, free ward stay, drugs, consultation the works. They treat you real well when you fall ill here.

So I wonder, after 5 years, reading and sacrifice, is this what I was waiting for at the end of that proverbial tunnel? You know, bashing from govt’ officials and airborne disease from my workplace? Working weekends and alternate nights? They didn’t mention this when I was signing up for the course. Conveniently I’m sure.

Daktari, sio?

It’s risky, this business.

tHE mEDiCinEmAn

No comments: