Saturday, February 03, 2007

You win some, you lose some.. (well ok, they die)

Today was one of those days that I really dread, which if fate chooses, do come pretty often. Another baby had died, and I had the unenviable task of examining the poor thing, confirming and certifying the death, and proceeding to inform the bewildered mother of the bad news.

This was particularly heart-wrenching since, it was one of a pair of twins, that I had admitted that long Sunday that I had had in the ward.

The diagnosis was pretty simple, GE in a severely dehydrated pt, to r/o Malaria. (Medical lingo for: a patient with vomiting and diarrhea who, as a result, is severely dehydrated, and since the patient complained of vomiting and fever among other shidaz, anti-malarial drugs have to be given, since we are in an endemic area.

Enough of that. Rehydration, replacement of electrolytes and quinine would sort out the problem, ideally anyway.

4 days later, while I was incidentally in the ward, the shell-shocked mother calls me and tells me that she had woken up only to find one of her babies ‘staring at her blankly’ and ‘didn’t look right’. A quick exam was conclusive. The baby had been dead for several minutes if not hours. The mother, by the way, had been staring at me intently all this time, hoping I would ease her mind from the horrible thoughts that must have been whirling around in there. The other twin was crying incessantly by now, almost as tho’ she knew what had just happened to her brother.

The part of the story I’d not told you is that this mother had delivered the twins at home 2 months ago and had not visited a clinic yet. Had not got any immunization shots. Apparently, she couldn’t carry both babies with her. Her husband was in police custody and her 6 other daughters, (yep, 6 daughters and now 8 kids) had not been at home to help her out. While her story didn’t sound particularly credible, it reminded of the many social issues that I have come across.

Many Kenyans, and probably herself as well, are not willing to spend that extra, no not extra, that last few hundred shillings to go to hospital for a problem that is not there. She’d rather spend it to buy food for tomorrow’s supper and use the rest to buy a couple of books for her other offspring that walk barefoot to school.

Poverty is easily the biggest disease in this country. This mother had lost a child from a very preventable condition that probably got worse as she hoped it would get better. Illiteracy comes in a close second. I’d tell you things mothers do to their babies that would make u scratch yo’ head, and roll your eyes. Lakini, that’s for another day. I’m on call tonite you know.

I spoke too soon. There goes my fone! Yet another sick Kenyan...

tHE mEdiCinEmAn.

7 comments:

Medusa said...

I just stumbled across your blog..and have been reading some of your entries..It's truly amazing, I cannot even begin to imagine how I could possibly deal with such tragedy..I couldn't disassociate myself.I have nothing but the utmost respect for those in the medical proffession.
Incidentally, I know someone who also just graduated from UON dec06..who also happens to be an intern somewhere in Thika..I wonder..

tHE mEDiCiNemAn said...

yeah..
It can get pretty sad and miserable. But it sunny's up on those days that the sickest become the most playful, and you think, "hmm.. things do turn out well sometimes."

Who's this you know that's also in Thika? Small world eh?
Holla back with that name..

tHE mEDiCinEmAn

Sam said...

I gotta say, life as a doctor in Africa can be both quite depressing and also quite fulfilling in terms of seeing the smiles of gratitude on people's faces. I was studying medicine in Sudan and transfered elsewhere right before my intermediates. Keep up the good work bro...the people need you.

tHE mEDiCiNemAn said...

Very true sam.. Innovation is the name of the game here a lot of times, with the limited resources and all. You didn't say where you transferred to tho' ? Where you @?

Medusa said...

Oh..my friend..a pretty young thing, fair-skinned,initials SK. She wears glasses( don't just about all docs do?)..and she's got great long hair. Assuming such a person exists in your 'gang'...tell her one of her sisters huko 'abroad' sends salaama..

Anonymous said...

how very sad, i mean the whole episode starting with the lack of use of contraception, husband in police custody, lack of immunization for newly borns, birth at home Oh my God... yet that's how most kenyans live. It is a pity.

tHE mEDiCiNemAn said...

@ Medusa,
SK? I think i should know her. I'll pass your regards. She should have a tonne of stories of her own.

@ Mwariwadavid,
True, it's really sad about that. Welcome 21st century Kenya, and it's interesting that there are another large no. who never even make it to hospital!
By the way, the other twin got better and we discharged them.

Hope life hands them anything but lemons, this time round.

tHE mEDiCinEmAn.